If you experience constant headaches, you understand it can take a toll on your everyday life. While medications offer temporary solutions to headaches or migraines, it’s vital to seek a long-lasting solution. Chiropractic care can diagnose the root cause of your head pain and provide a natural and non-invasive treatment plan for optimal results. If you are suffering from headaches or migraines, our team at Cason Chiropractic in Harrisonburg is here to help. We understand that patients often have questions about chiropractic care for head pain. That’s why we’ve put together some FAQs to answer common questions about headache and migraine relief.
What are headaches?
Most likely, you have experienced a headache before. The most common type of headache is a tension headache, which occurs due to stress and tension in your neck muscles. The other common causes of tension headaches include:
- Lack of sleep
- Alcohol intake
- Poor posture
- Certain foods
Not all headaches require medical intervention. Most headaches will disappear after a few hours. However, if you experience constant head pain that comes and goes, you need to book an appointment with a chiropractor for treatment.
What are migraines?
Most people often confuse migraines with headaches. However, while most migraines are accompanied by head pain, migraines are more severe than headaches. Besides debilitating head pain, you may experience nausea, vomiting, and dizziness when you have a migraine attack.
What are the types of migraines?
Not all migraines are the same. Common types of migraines include:
- Migraine with aura: An aura is a visual disturbance characterized by seeing dark spots, wavy lines, and halos around light sources. An aura is a warning sign that strikes about 20-30 minutes before the actual migraine.
- Migraine without aura (common migraines): These migraines occur without any warning sign. Patients often experience head pain on one side of the head, particularly behind the left eye.
- Menstrual migraines: Occur due to hormonal changes during menstruation.
- Silent migraines: The migraines exhibit typical symptoms of migraines but without head pain!
- Abdominal migraines: Here, you experience symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain without the usual head pain.
Differentiating whether you have a headache or migraine is essential when devising a treatment plan. However, you don’t need to worry about that because your chiropractor will help diagnose your headaches.
How can chiropractors help?
Chiropractic care treats headaches without using any medications that may worsen your situation. Spinal manipulation aligns your compressed spinal nerves, reducing pain. When pressure is lifted off the nervous system, it operates optimally, helping proper pain management of headaches. Other treatments for headaches include:
- Hands-on adjustments to alleviate pain and promote the body’s natural healing process
- Lifestyle counseling to reduce the severity and frequency of your headaches
- Nutritional counseling to eliminate potential triggers in your diet
Visit Us for Migraine or Headache treatment in Harrisonburg, VA
If you are suffering from headaches or migraines, our team at Cason Chiropractic is here to help. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation.